Often airfare can be the most expensive purchase of a whole trip and often the least fun. Getting to a destination shouldn’t have to cost you massive amounts of money. Saving money on your flight will leave you with more funds to do the fun things you want to do and also make going on vacation more affordable.
- Leave on a Wednesday – most people book their vacation so that they leave on a Friday or Saturday making these the most popular days to fly. Booking your flight on a Wednesday will normally be a lower cost (unless it’s a holiday) because there is less demand.
- Monitor Social Media – Many airlines will post hot deals on social media, promoting cheap flights. However, these deals often don’t last long so it’s important to jump on them when you see them. Following airlines Facebook and twitter will help you be able to monitor these deals more easily.
- Pick the Layover – Although layovers and plane changes can be annoying, they are likely to save you $50-$100.
- Compare – use sites like expedia.com, Skyscanner, google flights, and more to compare different airlines and see which flights are cheaper. Keep in mind if these airlines have extra baggage costs, etc. because these all can factor into the price
- Get an airline credit card – Fly often? Get an airline credit card that gives you points towards flights every time you use it. You can rack up a lot of miles and get flights for free by buying things you would normally purchase anyway using that card.
- Be Flexible – When planning a vacation be flexible with the days you’re flying out and flying back. Adding a couple days to your travels can save you big bucks. Plus who doesn’t love an extended vacation?
- Don’t Book Roundtrip – Sometimes flights can be cheaper if you book two one-way tickets than if you book a roundtrip flight. Flying to a place with a different airline than you fly home from can definitely save you money.
There are plenty of sites and tips out there that can help you save money on airlines costs. The important thing to do is to research and not book the first slight that you see. This way you can have more funds when you get to your actual destination.
Need some inspiration to travel? Want to learn more about how to get the best deals? There are many resources out there for you to research the best tips and ideas on travel. There are plenty of different blogs all with different niches to look into.
The budget traveller blog is all about how to travel on a budget. Who doesn’t like saving money? Kash Bhattacharya has been exploring the world for six years and has plenty of experience about how to save money without skimping on your experience. His blogs are informative with an emphasis on traveling in Europe, like 50 Free Things To Do In London.
This blog is another great resource for people who want to travel on a budget. The site focuses on articles that surround planning out your trip and finding funds to travel such as cheap flights, getting jobs abroad, and other ways to make money to fund trips. He’s been featured in the NY Times, Guardian UK, BBC, and many more.
This blog is written by Liz who is an expert on solo female travel. Having been doing it for 10 years, she shares many insights into how to stay safe, what adventures to go on, as well as her mistakes. In addition she shares witty musings, lifestyle posts, and general knowledge from having traveled to over 50 countries.
This blog emphasizes the need to get out of your comfort zone and live your best life. He gives expert travel tips from around the world as well as discusses unique things to do in countries that you wouldn’t think of trying. He’s been traveling around the world for about 6 years and spreads his advice through blogs and photography.
Run by Charli Moore, this is an adventurer blog that shows travel destinations, inspiring tales, and travel photography around the world. Her blog is great for adrenaline junkies looking for a new adventure in another country. She also has helpful guides from places she explored in the past that are great for travelers looking for adventures off the beaten path.
Getting advice and inspiration from travel blogs is a great way to do research and get the most out of your trip by learning from people who have already been where you wanted to go as well as learn from their past mistakes and successes!