Secrets to Getting Cheap Flights
Often airfare can be the most expensive purchase of a whole trip and often the least fun. Getting to a destination shouldn’t have to cost you massive amounts of money. Saving money on your flight will leave you with more funds to do the fun things you want to do and also make going on vacation more affordable.
- Leave on a Wednesday – most people book their vacation so that they leave on a Friday or Saturday making these the most popular days to fly. Booking your flight on a Wednesday will normally be a lower cost (unless it’s a holiday) because there is less demand.
- Monitor Social Media – Many airlines will post hot deals on social media, promoting cheap flights. However, these deals often don’t last long so it’s important to jump on them when you see them. Following airlines Facebook and twitter will help you be able to monitor these deals more easily.
- Pick the Layover – Although layovers and plane changes can be annoying, they are likely to save you $50-$100.
- Compare – use sites like expedia.com, Skyscanner, google flights, and more to compare different airlines and see which flights are cheaper. Keep in mind if these airlines have extra baggage costs, etc. because these all can factor into the price
- Get an airline credit card – Fly often? Get an airline credit card that gives you points towards flights every time you use it. You can rack up a lot of miles and get flights for free by buying things you would normally purchase anyway using that card.
- Be Flexible – When planning a vacation be flexible with the days you’re flying out and flying back. Adding a couple days to your travels can save you big bucks. Plus who doesn’t love an extended vacation?
- Don’t Book Roundtrip – Sometimes flights can be cheaper if you book two one-way tickets than if you book a roundtrip flight. Flying to a place with a different airline than you fly home from can definitely save you money.
There are plenty of sites and tips out there that can help you save money on airlines costs. The important thing to do is to research and not book the first slight that you see. This way you can have more funds when you get to your actual destination.